FORUM PROFILE
Welcome, Guest.
Please sign in or you can click here to register an account for free.
Did not receive activation email?
Email:
Password:

Refer-a-Friend and earn loyalty points!
FORUM NEWS + ANNOUNCEMENTS

[05 Feb] Welcome to ParentWeb - Your online resource for parenting tips, guides and advice! (More...)

[05 Feb] New to the ParentWeb Forum? Read our community guidelines! (More...)

[04 Feb] Get your FREE ParentWeb Baby Tracker! (More...)

[04 Feb] Join a Baby Birth Club! Just pick your child's birth year! (More...)

Poll
Question: Did you breast feed your baby? How many years ago
yes, last 5 years - 6 (100%)
no, last 5 years - 0 (0%)
yes, more than 5 yrs ago - 0 (0%)
no, more than 5 yrs ago - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importance of Breastfeeding  (Read 66208 times) Digg del.icio.us
BTBVEN

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 01:36:49 PM »

I agree that breastfeeding is completely important, no doubts about that.

However, the original thread was all about how to not to make those women (who are unable to breastfeed for a myriad of reasons) from feeling inadequate.

In my situation, I wanted to breastfeed however my daughter initially wouldn't latch on correctly and when she did, she wouldn't stay on long enough. We then found out about a tongue-tie and got that released however it didn't help with her staying on my breast for long. Then there was the reflux nightmare to deal with, which we subsequently found was due to a cow-milk protein allergy. I abstained from dairy, soy, eggs & wheat, but that didn't really make much of a difference from reflux point of view. I started to express milk and then topped up with formula because ebf wasn't sufficient. At the end of 5 months, I completely stopped ebf as by then I wasn't noticing an improvement in the reflux and the entire situation was getting to me emotionally, mentally and physically (In the beginning I felt like my daughter was personally rejecting me by not staying on my breast long enough).

There are plenty of women, who return to full-time work (I returned at the end of 6 months) by 3 months or perhaps even earlier. At that point, breast-feeding becomes quite tough (there's options of expressing at work etc. if the work environment was conducive enough for it).

Yes, breast is best and helps in a million different ways however that doesn't mean that a child who wasn't breast-fed or breast-fed but not long enough is going to turn out particularly worse. This is where it doesn't help that other mums keep preaching about breast being best but without thinking about how this may impact on those who have been unable to breastfeed. It's just guilt-tripping mums unnecessarily, as if mums don't have enough on their hands.

Women have got to do what they believe is the best for their child and for themselves, taking into account their personal/family/work situation and be proud that they will still raise a happy, healthy & wise child with or without breastmilk.

agnes4eva

Baby: 2
Latest: 4y 4m 23d

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 04:27:49 AM »

My mom (she said) had "overflowing" breast-milk each time after delivery, but she only breastfed me (i'm the youngest out of 4 children) for one month. My sister and brothers (2) were on cow's formula since birth. Mom said in the 80's, TV ads promote cow's formula heavily and that breastfeeding disfigure the breasts, so she did not breastfeed and she regretted after she realized the importance of breastfeeding. breast milk gives baby the best nutrition and it can help reduce breast cancer (depending on how long you breastfeed). however, the duration should be the first few years of life. have you seen any other animals who still breastfeed into adulthood? please advise me if i am wrong.

Why breastfeeding is important? - We are humans and we drink milk from mom. Just like calves drink from their mom -cow. In ancient China, when the wife of a rich man/family delivered a baby, they employed a few nannies to look after and to breastfeed the baby. Those babies from poor families either drink milk from mom or in some cases where mom cannot produce enough milk (as mom has nothing to eat), they drink rice water. No matter what you drink when you are a baby, you still grow up.  LOL   A good example is my sister. She has two kids, she breastfed the daughter for 6 months and her son could not latch on and she had mastitis, so he was put on formula. Who runs faster? the daughter. Who has runny nose in the morning? the daughter. Who falls sick easily? the daughter. in my opinion, if you can breastfeed, that's the best, if not just go for formula.   yes

for increasing milk production, you can try fenugreek and blessed thistle. if you want to go for medication, domperidone (brand name: motilium) is a good one to go for. otherwise try expressing milk every 2-3 hours day and night would help to stimulate milk production. try giving expressed breast milk in bottle if baby is 'snacking', drink every 1-2hour and has erratic sleeping pattern or don't sleep (as baby could be still hungry and can't sleep long).

i heard from a lady (she is 75 years old) and had her son 'ages' ago. her son was a hungry baby and always unsettle. at 2 months, the nurse told her to mix rice cereal with breastmilk in a bottle and cut the teat into a big hole so baby can drink. she did that and her son turned into a best baby ever. WHO and many breastfeeding associations out there are recommending no solid food up until 6 months or baby can sit or have no longer have the tongue-thrust reflex or interested in food. Chinese usually start introducing solids somewhere in 4 months, started off with plain congee and then slowly adding in food like sweet potato etc. you decide who and what to follow.

i am still breastfeeding my baby who is 4.5 months now and i have recently started introducing her solids. i give her a bottle of EBM daily and more when i work (two half days a week).  big grin

deenamathew

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 05:54:39 AM »

Babies should be breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months and continued with weaning until 12 months and further on, depending on the situation of the mother and child.

Breast milk helps keep your baby healthy.

It supplies all the necessary nutrients in the proper proportions.
It protects against allergies, sickness, and obesity.
It protects against diseases, like diabetes and cancer.
It protects against infections, like ear infections.
It is easily digested – no constipation, diarrhea or upset stomach.
Babies have healthier weights as they grow.
Breastfed babies score higher on IQ tests.

Breastfeeding Important for Mothers :

Have a reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes and certain cancers such as breast cancer
May find it easier to return to what they weighed before they got pregnant
Strengthen the bond with their children

LoveMyBabies
LoveMyBabies

We can do it!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 03:32:07 AM »

Breastfeeding is so important.  Unfortunately, I became ill a few months after I had my first child and could only nurse for a few months.  I was taking harmful medication and my illness prevented me from continuing.  I hope things work out better for us this time around.  Good luck to all!

LMB
anyagujraal

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »

Breast milk is the perfect food for the baby.  It strengthens the bond between mother and child. For mothers who breastfeed, there are less chances of developing Type 2 Diabetes and cancers like breast cancer. One other benefit is it will be easier to get back to the weight that is before pregnant.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:37:53 PM by anyagujraal » Logged
Olga1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »

Only breastfeeding helps maintain high rates of physical and psychological development and functional maturation of baby’s organs and systems.

Allets

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 10:50:38 AM »

Breast milk supplies essential nutrients required for the baby. It protects the baby from allergies, infections, diabetes, cancer and obesity. It also helps to strengthen the mother- child bond. Breast milk is available whenever the child needs it. These are some of the benefits of breastfeeding.

Kerrshay

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »

Breastfeeding is extremely important as that's where all the real nutrients are.

cwell2022

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »

Since an old thread has been revivied, I'll just post this here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/04/the-case-against-breast-feeding/307311/

Yes, breastfeeding is good. But I agree with those who say that it's not "breast is best" but "fed is best". There are many, many women who cannot breastfeed for various reasons, and there is no reason to shame them. For those breastfeeding, you rock! And for those using formula, you rock too smile

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by samijay, March 23, 2019, 10:19:12 PM
by Clahena, March 23, 2019, 12:41:27 PM
by Clahena, March 23, 2019, 12:38:37 PM
by zehray, March 19, 2019, 08:47:30 AM
by zehray, March 19, 2019, 08:46:39 AM
by lapublisher, November 14, 2018, 01:54:24 PM
by Septemberrr, September 08, 2018, 06:49:52 AM
by vvaneesa, August 07, 2018, 12:40:42 PM
by LaurelJe, August 06, 2018, 08:05:08 AM